Table of Contents
If you are an accountant or other office worker, you may have to keep data for your company. Sometimes, the business you work for may encourage you to use software like Excel.
Excel can feel overwhelming at first, but there are several tools to help save you time. One of these features is the ability to learn how to link two cells in Excel.
When you learn to link two cells, you will save time and avoid costly mistakes. You can copy data between two columns, worksheets, or workbooks. Any changes you need to make will automatically adjust.
You Might Also Like: how to export contacts from Gmail to Excel
The Ultimate Step-by-Step Guide | How to Link Two Cells in Excel
This step-by-step guide will help you learn how to link two cells in Excel.
How to Link Two Cells in Excel
There are a few methods available to learn how to link two cells in Excel, as seen below. Each is in the outline below.
Link Two Cells Using the Ampersand Symbol
The first method you can use to link two cells is through the use of the ampersand symbol. This icon represents the word “and.” Use the steps below to start this process.
1. Open a pre-existing Excel worksheet or input new data.
2. Click on an empty cell. It will contain the combined data.
3. Type “=” in the empty cell.
4. Click on the first cell you want to use in the combination.
5. Type “&.” Follow the symbol with two quotation marks around an empty space.
6. Choose the second cell you want to use in the combination.
7. Press “Enter” on your keyboard.
Link Two Cells Using CONCAT
Excel has another built-in feature you can use to combine data called “CONCAT.” This function replaced the “CONCATENATE” function. Use the steps below to begin this method.
1. Choose an empty cell in a pre-existing spreadsheet.
2. Use your keyboard to type “=CONCAT(.” exactly. You do not need quotation marks.
3. Choose the first cell you want to add to the combination.
4. Type a comma to separate the first from the second cell.
5. Add a space and select the second cell you want to use.
6. Close CONCAT by adding closing parentheses.
7. Press “Enter” on the keyboard.
You Might Also Like: how to create a roadmap in excel
Link Two Cells with a Hyperlink
You can easily learn how to link two cells in Excel with a hyperlink. There is a tool in Excel to add these links. The required steps are in detail below.
1. Open a worksheet with preexisting data.
2. Create a new column for your linked cells.
3. Click on the first empty cell in the new column.
4. Right-click your mouse.
5. Click “Link.”
6. Wait for the “Insert Hyperlink” pop-up window to appear.
7. Click “Place in This Document” on the left side of the screen.
8. Type the corresponding cell in the field labeled “Type the Cell Reference.”
10. Choose the option labeled “Show [Data]” in the “Text to Display” field.
11. Press “Ok.”
12. Repeat the process for the remaining cells in the new column.
Link Rows in Excel
You do not have to resort to only linking individual cells in Excel. You can save a significant amount of time by combining entire rows of data. Learn how with the information presented to you below.
- Open a new workbook in Excel.
- Enter your data in the first row on the worksheet.
- Click the row’s number on the left side of the screen.
- Press “Ctrl+C” on your keyboard to copy the row.
- Right-click the number of the row you want to use for linked cells.
- Press “N” to link the cells.
You Might Also Like: how to use Microsoft Planner for project management
Link Rows in Excel from Different Workbooks
You can also learn to link rows from different workbooks with the below information.
- Open the first workbook and start a new row of data.
- Keep the first workbook open and start a second.
- Enter an equal sign in the first cell in the appropriate row of the second workbook.
- Open the first workbook.
- Click the number associated with the row.
- Press “Enter.”
- Wait for your second workbook to open again.
- Use the fill tool to select as many cells in the row as you need.
- Wait for the information to populate.
A Simple Formula for Linking Two Cells in Excel
The hyperlink function is different from inserting a link. You will type a formula into the new column you create. Read the below information to learn how to link two cells in Excel with the hyperlink function.
1. Open a preexisting worksheet. Create a new column for linked cells.
2. Click on the first empty cell in the column you created.
3. Write out =HYPERLINK(“#C5”, “Sarah”)
4. Press “Enter.”
5. Repeat the process for the rest of the cells. You will replace the cell number and the category in the formula every time.
Example of Using this Formula
You likely noticed the use of the name Sarah in the above steps. When using this formula, you could list out every person’s salary. You will need to enter the specific topic for the data each time you use it.
The first cell you want to link will not always be C5. It all depends on where you start your data in Excel. Everyone builds their worksheets differently.
You Might Also Like: how to use a day planner effectively
How to Link Multiple Cells in Excel From Another Worksheet
Microsoft Excel is a powerful tool in that you can learn how to link multiple cells in Excel from another worksheet. You do not have to manually change all of your data on every document. Use the below steps to link your cells between worksheets.
- Open two worksheets. Make a column on the second one for your linked cells.
- Click on the first cell in the new column on the second worksheet.
- Type the equal sign.
- Click on the first worksheet.
- Choose the first cell containing data on the first worksheet.
- Press “Enter.”
- Look at the formula bar on both worksheets. They should match.
- Drag the fill handle to cover the entire column on the second worksheet.
- Change one of the data points on the first worksheet, ensuring it reflects on the second.
You Might Also Like: how to structure a tutoring session
How to Link Multiple Cells from Different Workbooks
It is not only possible to learn how to link multiple cells in Excel from another worksheet. You can also perform this process with separate workbooks. Use the steps below to link cells from two different Excel windows.
- Open two separate workbooks. One should contain your data, and the other will have your linked cells.
- Click on the second workbook to open your column of linked cells. Type the equal sign in the first space.
- Go to the data workbook and click on the first cell in the column.
- Press “Enter.”
- Make sure the formula bar is the same on both workbooks.
- Manually enter the corresponding data on the rest of the column of the linked cell.
- Change the value of one of the cells in the data set. See if the new number shows up on the column of the linked cell.
How to Link Cells in Excel Same Worksheet
There are also several available methods to learn how to link cells in Excel same worksheet. The tips below will help you find another piece of data by clicking the first. Consider the methods below to begin.
You Might Also Like: how to change Gmail background to own photo
Link Cells in the Same Worksheet
It is easiest to learn how to link cells in Excel same worksheet by making two columns. Any changes made in the first will automatically apply to the second. The steps below will help you start this process.
- Start a new column. Name it “Linked Cell.”
- Start a second column, naming it whatever type of data you want to convey.
- Click on the first cell in the first column. Type the equal sign.
- Type the name of the cell you want to link after the equal sign.
- Press “Enter.”
- Drag the “fill” icon over the entire column to link the corresponding cells from the second column.
- Make a change in the second cell to ensure it matches the first.
You Might Also Like: how to markup a PDF in Adobe Reader
Link Several Cells at Once in the Same Worksheet
You can also learn to link multiple cells from the same worksheet. You will save time by not having to match each one individually. The steps below will help you in this process.
- Create two columns in an Excel worksheet. The first should contain the linked cells, and the second should have your primary data.
- Select all the cells containing the primary data in your second column.
- Press “Ctrl+C” on your keyboard to copy the cells.
- Click on the first cell of the first column.
- Right-click your mouse.
- Press “Paste Special.”
- Choose “Paste Link” in the pop-up window.
- Look at the two columns to see if the numbers match.
- Check the link by making a change in column two to see if it automatically applies to the first.
You Might Also Like: how to create a watermark in Canva
How to Mirror Cells in Excel
You can use any of the above methods to learn how to mirror cells in Excel. Technically, the word “mirror” is a synonym for “combine” or “link.”
Mirroring a cell in Excel allows you to copy the exact data from one workbook to another. You can also link the information from a single cell to another.
Finally, mirroring information on Excel lets you make changes at any time. Any adjustments made to the data will apply to both cells that you link.
You Might Also Like: how to apologize professionally in an email
Link any Two Cells in Excel
You should feel a little more comfortable with Excel tools after learning how to link two cells in Excel. Copy and paste the data from one set to another using the equal sign. You will notice a formula populate in both worksheets if needed.
You can also insert hyperlinks or use manual formulas to link two cells in Excel. This method will let you click on the new information to see any updates.
Finally, you do not only have to link individual cells in Excel. You can combine entire rows and columns to make keeping track of your data much easier.
- Select the cell where you want to put the combined data.
- Type = and select the first cell you want to combine.
- Type & and use quotation marks with a space enclosed.
- Select the next cell you want to combine and press enter. An example formula might be =A2&" "&B2.
Click the first cell and press Shift while you click the last cell in the range you want to merge. Important: Make sure only one of the cells in the range has data. Click Home > Merge & Center. If Merge & Center is dimmed, make sure you're not editing a cell or the cells you want to merge aren't inside a table.How do I link cells in Excel without merging? ›
To center cells without merging:
Right click on the selected area and click Format Cells. Click the Alignment tab at the top of the pop-up menu. In the Alignment tab, open the Horizontal dropdown and select Center Across Selection. Click OK to finalize and the cells will appear merged.
If you want a Dynamic link between Cells or Ranges of Cells, between Worksheets or even the Workbooks, for both way data entry, then VBA is the only solution. You need to use the following VBA code in both the Sheets: How it works: Either press Alt+F11 or Right click the Sheet TAb.How do I link rows in Excel? ›
- Enter your original data in a row in one workbook.
- Open your second workbook without closing the first.
- Click the first cell in the target row in your second workbook and type an "=" sign. ...
- Reopen the first workbook by clicking it in the Windows taskbar or by pressing "Alt-Tab."
Various types of Merge options with Shortcut keys to merge cells in excel are as follows: Merge Cells (Excel Shortcut key. read more – ALT H+M+M) Merge & Center (Excel Shortcut key – ALT H+M+C)What is the method of merging cells of a table? ›
You can combine two or more table cells located in the same row or column into a single cell. For example, you can merge several cells horizontally to create a table heading that spans several columns. Select the cells that you want to merge. Under Table Tools, on the Layout tab, in the Merge group, click Merge Cells.What enables you to merge two or more cells *? ›
Inside the Format Cells menu, click on the Alignment tab and tick the box that says Merge Cells.How do I merge two cells in Excel but keep all data? ›
- Select all the cells you want to combine.
- Make the column wide enough to fit the contents of all cells.
- On the Home tab, in the Editing group, click Fill > Justify. ...
- Click Merge and Center or Merge Cells, depending on whether you want the merged text to be centered or not.
Use CONCATENATE, one of the text functions, to join two or more text strings into one string. Important: In Excel 2016, Excel Mobile, and Excel for the web, this function has been replaced with the CONCAT function.
- Click the cell where you want the combined data to go.
- Type =
- Click the first cell you want to combine.
- Type &
- Click the second cell you want to combine.
- Press the Enter key.
The three main ways for cells to connect with each other are: gap junctions, tight junctions, and desmosomes. These types of junctions have different purposes, and are found in different places.What are the three different ways cells can be connected to each other? ›
Three possibilities are illustrated in Figure 19-26: (1) in homophilic binding, molecules on one cell bind to other molecules of the same kind on adjacent cells; (2) in heterophilic binding, the molecules on one cell bind to molecules of a different kind on adjacent cells; (3) in linker-dependent binding, cell-surface ...What forms connection between two cells? ›
Adherens junctions and desmosomes connect cells together and are formed by cadherins, while focal adhesions and hemidesmosomes connect cells to the extracellular matrix and are formed by integrins.How do I link cells in rows to columns? ›
- Step 1: Select blank cells. First select some blank cells. ...
- Step 2: Type =TRANSPOSE( With those blank cells still selected, type: =TRANSPOSE( ...
- Step 3: Type the range of the original cells. Now type the range of the cells you want to transpose. ...
- Step 4: Finally, press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
- Open each source sheet and make sure that your data is in the same position on each sheet.
- In your destination sheet, click the upper-left cell of the area where you want the consolidated data to appear. ...
- On the Data tab, under Tools, click Consolidate.
Use the keyboard shortcut Shift+F3 .Which of the following is used to combine multiple cells cells in a table? ›
The correct answer is Merge Cells.Which button is used to combine multiple cell in table? ›
Right-click the selected cells and click Merge Cells.What is the use of split cells and merge cells option in table? ›
You can split and merge cells in a table. Splitting cells is similar to adding a row or column, but it all takes place in one cell instead of a group of cells. Merging cells, however, is similar to deleting a cell and then adjoining it with a neighboring cell.
Battery. The combination of two or more cells is called a battery. In the figure, 3 cells are combined and connected electrically in series and have two main terminals: positive and negative terminals.What is it called when two cells merge? ›
Cell-cell fusion refers to the process by which two or more cells combine their plasma membranes to become a single hybrid cell containing DNA from each parent cell . This fundamental biological process has been well documented in many organisms, including plants , yeast , C.Which command is used to merge the cells? ›
Merge across cells: To merge across cells in a single row, highlight the cells and use this keyboard shortcut: ALT H+M+C. Unmerge cells: If you need to unmerge a group of cells, you can highlight the merged cell and press the following keys at the same time: ALT H+M+U.What is the fastest way to stack multiple columns into one column in Excel? ›
- Double-click the cell in which you want to put the combined data and type =
- Click a cell you want to combine, type &, and click the other cell you wish to combine. ...
- Press Enter when you have selected all the cells you want to combine.
The CONCAT function combines the text from multiple ranges and/or strings, but it doesn't provide delimiter or IgnoreEmpty arguments. CONCAT replaces the CONCATENATE function. However, the CONCATENATE function will stay available for compatibility with earlier versions of Excel.What is the difference between concat and & Excel? ›
Excel "&" operator vs. CONCATENATE function
The only real difference is the 255 strings limit of the CONCATENATE function and no such limitation when using the ampersand. Other than that, there is no difference between these two methods, nor is there any speed difference between the CONCATENATE and "&" formulas.
CONCAT wants you to add the text from multiple ranges and specify where you want your delimiter(s). The TEXTJOIN function, on the other hand, allows you to pre-specify your delimiter and confirm if you wish to ignore empty.Can you link columns in Excel? ›
To do so, click on any column in the Source file and copy it. Then, select the first row of a column you want to add a link to and choose the Link icon. All the rows from the chosen column will be imported. Rather than click, you can also enter the formulas directly.Which function is used to join columns? ›
SQL JOIN. A JOIN clause is used to combine rows from two or more tables, based on a related column between them.How do I link columns in a table in Excel? ›
- Select the range of rows and columns that you want to use in the linked table.
- Format the rows and columns as a table: ...
- Place the cursor on any cell in the table.
- Click Power Pivot > Add to Data Model to create the linked table.
To create a nested (or inner) group, select all detail rows above the related summary row, and click the Group button. For example, to create the Apples group within the East region, select rows 2 and 3, and hit Group. To make the Oranges group, select rows 5 through 7, and press the Group button again.How do you merge every 3 cells in Excel? ›
Select the range of cells where you want to merge rows. Go to the Ablebits Data tab > Merge group, click the Merge Cells arrow, and then click Merge Rows into One.How do I merge cells in multiple rows? ›
- Hold left click and select the cells that will merge. Step 2: Go to the “Home” tab. Find the “Merge” icon and click. ...
- Select Merge Across. The cells in the row will merge.
- The selected cells merge. Merge Cells Option. ...
- Use Merge Cells option to combine adjacent cells. Merge & Center.
Select the cells where the empty rows need to appear and press Shift + Space. When you pick the correct number of rows, right-click within the selection and choose the Insert option from the menu list. Tip. If your cells contain any formatting, use the Insert Options icon to match the format.What is grouping in Excel? ›
What Is Group In Excel? The Group is an Excel tool that groups two or more rows or columns. With this function, the user has the option to minimize and maximize the grouped data. The rows or columns of the group collapse on minimizing and expand on maximizing.How do you automate grouping in Excel? ›
On the Data tab, in the Outline group, click Group. Then in the Group dialog box, click Rows, and then click OK. Tip: If you select entire rows instead of just the cells, Excel automatically groups by row - the Group dialog box doesn't even open. The outline symbols appear beside the group on the screen.What is concat function in Excel? ›
The CONCAT function combines the text from multiple ranges and/or strings, but it doesn't provide delimiter or IgnoreEmpty arguments. CONCAT replaces the CONCATENATE function. However, the CONCATENATE function will stay available for compatibility with earlier versions of Excel.How do I merge 3 cells in sheets? ›
- First, open google sheets.
- Then select the cells you want to merge.
- Go to Format → Merge cells.
- Now click on the kind of merge you want from the options—Merge all, Merge horizontally and Merge vertically.
- Choose a cell for the combined data to be placed.
- Please type =CONCAT(.
- Choose the cell you would like to combine first.
- Add spaces, commas, or other text. Use quotation marks to separate the cells you are combining.
- Enter the formula within parenthesis.
The fastest and easiest way to combine two or more cells in Excel is to use the built-in Merge and Center option. The whole process takes only 2 quick steps: Select the contiguous cells you want to combine. On the Home tab > Alignment group, click the Merge & Center.
Use the & to combine the columns:
In the formula box, enter =A1&B1&C1 and press Enter. To enter a quotation mark, enter it in a cell and then reference a cell. You cannot use quotation marks to set off a quotation mark.